Play the latest episode by selecting the “Play” button on the widget below (right-pointing triangle at left side of widget)
Stop eating beef, pork and chicken and our environmental problems will be solved. At least that’s what films like Cowspiracy want you to believe. Make no mistake about it, farm animals have a huge environmental footprint. But, in fact, when you consider everything we eat and the way we eat it, meat and other animal products barely scratch the surface.
In this episode of The Foodcast, we look at the big picture and explore how the entire farm-to-table lifecycle effects our planet. Maybe the farm isn’t the best place to start. Then, I speak to three entrepreneurs who are focusing on a different and very sensible place and they’re doing so in an innovative way. All this and the usual shenanigans right here on The Foodcast.
- NRDC Analysis of Agriculture’s Contribution to Greenhouse Gasses
- Energy Use in the U.S. Food System by the USDA Economic Research Service
- Wasted: How AmericaIs Losing Up To 40 Percent of Its Food from Farm to Fork to Landfill by the NRDC
- Reducing Wasted Food & Packaging: A Guide for Food Services and Restaurants by the EPA
09:28 Interview with Elspeth Collard, Bridget Williams and Leila Rasmussen
31:23 RTC Initiative Beta Test
- Geoffrey Moore’s Crossing the Chasm and other books about the “Technology Adoption Life Cycle”
- Taqueria el Poblano
- Pork Barrel BBQ
- Los Tios Grill
38:37 Wrap Up