A wonk is someone who takes an excessive interest in minor details of political policy. Ergo, a word you’d expect a wonk to use, a food wonk is someone with an excessive interest in minor details of food policy and its politics. Longtime listeners of The Foodcast may think this is an apt description of someone associated with this show (i.e., the host).
We touch on this subject all the time but this time we go deep. We start off with a rant about the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans. We talk about the process, its problems and how it affects you.
Next, we discuss my attendance at a meeting with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in which every special interest imaginable spent an entire day debating what the word “healthy” means. It makes for fascinating podcast material…to people who have nothing better to do. And since I assume you do have better things to do, I try and keep it accessible and light but c’mon. We spent an entire day debating the word healthy. What do you expect?
02:12 The Dietary Guidelines for Americans are for the Dogs
- The Complete Karma Sense Series of Blog Posts Covering The Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- The Exciting Table Comparing the Advice from the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee and the final Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Blog Post About The Dietary Guidelines for Australians
- Blog Post About The Dietary Guidelines for Canadians
- Happy Larrys
- The Dietary Guidelines for Swedes
19:53 Use of the Term “Healthy” in the Labelling of Human Food Products
- Episode 0020 Fight Hunger
- Episode 0025 – Health Theater
35:38 Wrap Up
For complete show notes, head on over to http://www.daveyhwellness.com/foodcast/food-wonk/