We hear that the concept of the family meal is history? Is that true and does it matter? In this episode of the Karma Sense Foodcast, we explore what science says about the shared family meal. Then we hear from Sam Hellman about his recollection of what family meals were like with the H family and how that affected him as he grew up. Finally, Sam and I do some improvisational cooking and share a meal. Eavesdrop on the way we do it and compare and contrast your own family relationship with mealtime.
02:16 Rant – The Science Behind the Family Meal
- Follow Sam Hellman on Twitter @SamHellmanScout
- JR’s Family Barbecue Chipotle Ketchup
- Follow JR’s Barbecue on Twitter
31:16 Improvised Healthy Jalapeno Poppers
- How we made the Healthy Jalapeno Poppers
- Remove the stem end of the peppers and carve out any pepper flesh that remains around the stem for later use.
- Split the peppers length-wise and scoop out the seeds.
- Reserve the seeds to add later spiciness.
- Spoon cheese of your choice into inside of the peppers.
- Place on a roasting pan and bake at 375º F (190º C).
- Keep an eye on them and remove when they’re cooked to your liking.
- If you want to add a char to the pepper, broil for a minute. Keep an eye on them so they don’t overcook.
- Cava Grill Crazy Feta
44:00 Wrap Up