Why coffee ABCs? Because in 2015, US government Agencies Blessed Coffee. Specifically, the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (“the guidelines”) endorsed moderate coffee consumption. To many of you, this is a non-event. To people with an unnatural, irrational and insatiable curiosity about food policy, this is unprecedented. Changes in food policy tend to be evolutionary. But the guideline’s endorsement of 24-40 ounces of coffee consumption each day is revolutionary. And to coffee lovers, it’s a gift.
In this episode of The Foodcast, we examine the recommendations around coffee. And since the recommendations are unusually clear, I further extol coffee’s virtues with the help of an Infographic you can download and explore.
- Link to Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Link to Karma Sense series about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
01:40 Coffee ABCs
- A is for Art – CoffeeFest
- B is for Brain – Coffee boosts brain function
- C is for Cortisol – Why drinking coffee first thing in the morning may be counterproductive
- D is for Downer – Coffee has downsides
- E is for Ethiopia – Ethiopia is coffee’s birthplace
- E is for Ethiopia – The Coffee Trader by David Liss
- F is for Fat – Coffee can destroy body fat
- G is for Genes – Coffee’s effects are genetic
- H is for Hydrocinnamic Acid – Coffee is full of antioxidants
- I is for It – As in “Doing It.”
- J is for Java – Coffee in Empirical Europe
- K is for Kopi Luwak – Fermented coffee is a thing
- L is for Liver – Coffee counters effect of drinking alcohol
- M is for Mate – Coffeemate. No!
- M is for Mate – Karma Sense post about Natural Flavors
- N is for Nap – Coffee naps are a thing
- Oh is for Oh – Oh for f*ck sake!
- P is for Poop – Coffee IS a laxative
- Q is for Q – Coffee quality is based on Q Grading
- R is for Roasts – Roast process is key
- S is for Seinfeld – Coffee is inextricably tied to Jerry
- S is for Seinfeld – The coffee table stain
- S is for Seinfeld – Coffee table book that’s a coffee table
- S is for Seinfeld – Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee
- T is for 29 – September 29th is National Coffee Day.
- T is for 29 – Join the Facebook Make 5/24 National Schlumpia Day Facebook Group
- U is for Unusual – Coffee. It’s not just for breakfast anymore
- V is for Variety – Coffee for pedants
- W is for Wellness – Coffee is medicine
- X is for XCT – Bulletproof way to get fat and lose money
- Y is for Yemen – Where mocha comes from
- Z is for Zero – All this yet no calories